Welcome to Everything Villa, the blog which will keep you up to date with the latest news regarding Aston Villa Football Club. I am a life long supporter and currently own a season ticket in the Upper Trinity. Also please feel free to follow me on twitter, my username is @EverythingVilla and I will reply to any tweets sent to me.

Wednesday 23 November 2011

The Youngsters Showing Us How It's Done

I've just watched the highlights from Villa's NextGen Series 3-0 victory over Ajax and all I could think throughout was, why can't the first team do that?

Obviously there were a few sloppy errors but you will always find them at youth level, they soon learn to cut them out once they are on the big stage and realise just how costly a mistake can be.  The midfield duo of Gary Gardner and Daniel Johnson looked very comfortable on the ball and very dangerous coming forward.  We've all heard a lot about Gardner and saying that he should be given a chance in the first team, and why not? The current lot clearly aren't cutting the mustard at the moment so things can't get worse by putting Gardner in there.  He's 19 years old, that's about the age that top youth players start making an impact on their respective clubs first team and I feel that the time he is spending in the youth and reserve teams is a bit of a waste of time.  The NextGen Series will do a lot of good for him to experience european competition but it's clear that he is way too good to be playing at that level.

His partner in midfield, Johnson, also looks like a very decent prospect.  I noticed he made a couple of cup squads early last season without getting on the pitch.  I can clearly see why Houllier liked him.  He reminds me a bit of Barry Bannan.  Quite slight but very comfortable on the ball, close control and a lovely left foot.  I can't see where he would really fit in with the first team squad at this moment in time but I would like to see him maybe go out on loan and get some time playing championship football because I can see him having a good future.

Finally I would like to mention a couple of wingers, Jack Grealish and Jordan Graham.  I've heard in the past about Chelsea showing an interest in Jordan Graham and I can see why.  Still at a very young age he made the Ajax defence look stupid (those of you that have seen the highlights will know which bit I'm on about).  That was quality wing play and the more he plays, the better he will get and I think he could be really special.  The same applies to Grealish.  I first saw him play in the 4-1 win against Rosenborg earlier in the competition.  He looks like another very skillful player who, like Graham will just get better with time and could become really special.

I heard Alex Mcleish was at that match, so hopefully he will have picked up a few tips on how to set his teams up (TO WIN!).  He simply has to start including Gardner in the squads over the next few weeks and we can all finally see what he can do in the Premier League.

Other than that I would like to leave you with my ones to watch:

Jack Grealish
Jordan Graham

No comments: