Welcome to Everything Villa, the blog which will keep you up to date with the latest news regarding Aston Villa Football Club. I am a life long supporter and currently own a season ticket in the Upper Trinity. Also please feel free to follow me on twitter, my username is @EverythingVilla and I will reply to any tweets sent to me.

Wednesday 28 September 2011

Bent Wants To Be Penalty Taker

After missing out on the clash with QPR, Bent missed out on the opportunity to cement himself as the clubs penalty taker after the departure of Ashley Young.  In his absence young Barry Bannan stepped up and cooly slot away the penalty and won't want to give up the role of penalty taker any time soon.  However Bent is keen to wrestle the penalty taking duty from his team mate.  For me personally I would like to see Bannan take them until he misses one, otherwise I think it's unfair to take them off him when he currently has a 100% record.

This is what Bent had to say:

“I want to keep taking the penalties 100 per cent,” said Bent. “I was delighted to see Barry slot that one away, it was a top spot-kick.
“It was his first goal in the Premier League, too, so I really couldn’t have been happier for him. It must have been a big moment for him.
“But as a striker, if I’m on the pitch I want to take them. Alan Shearer once said to me ‘what striker wouldn’t want to be on penalties’?
“As a striker you score goals in open play but scoring from the spot is vital, too. It adds another five goals per season.
“The key is scoring goals for Villa and making sure you slot them home to win games for the team.
“I am confident when I’m stepping up to take them.”
“I am feeling good, I trained yesterday and it all felt fine. Hopefully there won’t be any reaction for the rest of the week and I will be 100 per cent for Wigan on Saturday.
“I hope to be flying. It’s been annoying. I had a problem with the left groin in pre-season and the latest injury has been the other one.
“It’s been stop-start at the beginning of the campaign but if I can get over this now I will be firing again. I want to get going.”

No comments: