Welcome to Everything Villa, the blog which will keep you up to date with the latest news regarding Aston Villa Football Club. I am a life long supporter and currently own a season ticket in the Upper Trinity. Also please feel free to follow me on twitter, my username is @EverythingVilla and I will reply to any tweets sent to me.

Saturday 24 September 2011

QPR Preview - Its All About Midfield

So match day is tomorrow and we are playing a team very much on the rise. QPR have looked increasingly dangerous since their deadline day arrivals and Im sure they will ask more than a few questions of our defence. I know that this season we have been accused of getting too many draws but I think a point tomorrow away at a team on the rise would be a pretty good result.

However I would like to see us going out to win the game, not set up to defend a point like we seem to do away from home this season. Ive got no problem with going 4-5-1 as I expect we will with our current striker shortages that I will touch on later. But to warrant playing this formation we NEED to support the striker. Too often this season we have seen Bent isolated and looking lost due to a lack of support and supply from midfield.

Now with Bent and Heskey injured, the role of lone striker will almost certainly be given to Gabby. Im looking forward to seeing him play that role because pace really worries defences and, unlike Bent, he can create his own chances which is vital when you have a lack of creativity in the midfield like we seem to at the moment. Gabby has been our best player this season in most peoples views, so this is a great chance to show what he can do in his favoured position.

Onto midfield and I think the main question is will Jenas be fit? If he is then I think he must start, simply because our midfield just hasn't worked so far this season. Who knows, Jenas may not be the solution to our problems, but there's only one way to find out. Then there's the question of who the three people supporting Gabby will be? Ive got a feeling that if fit, Jenas will be deployed in the hole, with Bannan and Zogs either side.

As the defence seems to pick itself at the moment, here is my guess of the team:

Given

Hutton Collins Dunne Warnock

Petrov Delph

N'Zogbia Jenas Bannan

Agbonlahor

If Jenas doesn't make it I expect to see Bannan in the hole with Albrighton on the wing.

So there we have it. The key to this game is undoubtedly the midfield, and ours must improve if we are going to win that battle against Joey Barton. Unfortunately my mind is telling me a 2-0 win for QPR because I just can't see us winning the midfield battles and that is where our problems will start.

If you have any opinions on the game or on Villa in general, please leave a comment or tweet me at the link above.

No comments: